MULTICULTURAL EXCHANGE AND MUTUAL INTERACTION EVENTS
**** Futsal Tournament ****
During the first half of 2011 (January-June) , social, cultural and artistic events will be held in Cyprus under the European Funding Program, aimed at reinforcing mutual understanding and interaction between third country nationals (TCNs) and local society.
Multicultural Exchange and Mutual Interaction Events
• Multicultural Festivals
• Pancyprian Painting Competition
• Art Exhibition in Larnaca
• Round Table Discussions
• Radio Interviews
• Futsal Tournaments in Nicosia and Larnaca
• Treasure Hunting in Paphos
The programme is part of the European Fund for the Integration of Third Country Nationals for the period 2007-2013.
Main Objectives of the Programme
• To increase the interaction and understanding between TCNs and local communities with the aim of mitigating the various problems that occur from ignorance of the tradition, culture and customs of each side.
• To assist the integration process of TCNs in Cypriot society through the proposed multicultural events and to improve practices and policies in relation to TCNs through round tables discussions, relevant newspaper and magazine articles.
• To approach local authorities for inclusion of such events in their community programmes
• To promote intercultural understanding and interaction
European Fund for the Integration of Third Country Nationals
The purpose of the European Fund for the Integration of TCNs is to support the efforts of Member States for the smooth integration of TCNs of different economic, social, cultural, religious, linguistic and ethnic backgrounds in European societies and the compliance of the conditions of their residence.
• promote the enactment and enforcement procedures for admitting TCNs
• development and implementation of integration policies of newly arrived TCNs
• strengthening the capacity of Member States to develop, implement, monitor and evaluate policies and measures for the integration of TCNs
• cooperation and exchange of information and best practices within and between Member States on the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of integration policies for TCNs
Republic of Cyprus
As an active member of the EU, Cyprus makes a considerable effort to effectively manage legal and illegal immigration flow.
• the actions to implement the ‘Common Basic Principles for immigrant integration policy in the EU “
• developing indicators for assessing progress made to adapt policies and measures and to facilitate coordination of comparative learning
• building intercultural skills
• exchange with other Member States’ experiences, practices and information relating to the integration of TCNs
The integration of TCNs is particularly important for Cyprus (being an intercultural / immigration point of the Eastern Mediterranean and southern part of the EU) because TCNs will contribute to the rational development of Cyprus, while at the same time develop respect towards the principles and the values of equality, solidarity and human rights of all those who live and work in the island of Aphrodite, regardless of origin, religion, color and cultural roots.
Organizer: Intercollege Larnaca Campus